Update Your Personal Information

Online Changes: Contact Information, Personal Information
Other Changes: Birthdate, Citizenship, Dependents, Marital Status, Social Security #
Name Changes
Religion Changes

Online Changes

You can update the following items online:


Other Changes

The BYU Registrar's Office processes the following biographic changes. These require written consent and/or documentation that can be provided in person, by mail or fax.

Change Type Required Documentation
Birthdate Signed Written Consent
Citizenship One of the following:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Naturalization forms
Dependent (adding or removing) Adding:
  • Signed written consent and 
  • Individual's full name (maiden name if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • SSN for US Citizens or BYU identifier
    (if they have a BYU account already)


  • Individual's full name
Marital Status Signed Written Consent or done online
Name  See table below
Religion See table below
Social Security Number Signed Social Security Card


Name Changes

Use the chart below to determine which documentation you need to provide the Registrar's Office in order to change your name.

Student Status/
Academic Record
Employment Status Required Documentation
Student Employee Social Security Card
Previous Student Employee
(terminated within the last 2 years)
Previous Student Employee
(haven't been employed by BYU
for 2+ years)
Any of the following:
  • Driver's license
  • Social Security Card
  • Passport
Any Full-time or other non-student
Please contact
Staff Employment
No Academic Record Non-employee None required



Religion Change

Religion  Status Change What to Do
Changing your religious status to LDS Submit one of the following to the Registrar's Office:
  • A copy of your baptismal certificate
  • A letter from your bishop
  • A membership record
    with your baptism date
Changing your religious status
from LDS to another religion
Begin the process through the Honor Code Office
Changing your religious status from
one non-LDS religion to another
Change it online