The cart is available for Fall 2017 registration.
Registration cart is an optional new feature that has been added to MyMAP to help you plan ahead. You can save class sections ahead of time to prepare for priority registration. You must submit your cart by the deadline. You can choose to be added to waitlists if classes are full. Before midnight of your priority date, your cart will randomly be processed and all available classes from your cart will be added to your schedule. If you do not meet eligibility requirements, the classes will not be added.
How Does it Work?
As soon as the class schedule becomes available for a semester/term in MyMAP, you can start saving classes to your cart. The cart becomes unavailable after priority registration. Using the cart is completely optional. You can choose to wait until 12:00am of your priority registration date to register for classes manually as usual.
You can save any class to your cart. However, once your cart is submitted and processed (before midnight of your priority date), the classes may not be added if (1) you have registration holds; (2) you do not meet the registration rules of the class; (3) the class is full; or (4) adding the class will exceed the maximum credit hour limit (undergraduate -- 18 per semester/9 per term; graduate -- 22 per semester/11 per term).
A few rules apply when using the cart:
Deadline. You MUST submit your cart before the deadline, which is 6:00pm MT the day before your priority registration date. Look for the green "Submit" button. If you fail to submit your cart, it will not be processed, and you will have to wait until 12:00am MT of your priority date to manually register.
Editing your cart. You can edit your cart after it has been submitted up until 6:00pm MT the day before your priority registration date. Remember to resubmit your cart each time changes are made.
Maximum hours. You can save up to 30 credit hours in your cart; however, when your cart is processed you won't be registered for more than your maximum credit hour limit (undergraduate -- 18 per semester/9 per term; graduate -- 22 per semester/11 per term).
Waitlist. When you submit your cart, you can choose to be placed on the waitlist for all classes that are full at the time your cart is processed. You cannot waitlist envelopes.
Multiple sections. You can only save one section of a class to the cart, unless it is an “R” suffix class (e.g. STDEV 214R) in which case you will be able to save multiple sections of the class to your cart. If you attempt to save a second section of a non "R" suffix class to the cart the first section will be replaced with the second.
Permission-to-add codes. Classes that require a permission-to-add code can be saved to a cart, but will not be added unless the class changes to not require codes before the cart processes.
Holds. You will be warned of any problems that will prevent registration at the time you save a class to the cart. You will need to take care of these issues before the cart submission deadline (6:00pm the day before your priority registration date).
Processing Order. The cart will process in the order that classes are saved (first class saved is the first it will try to add, and so on.) Envelopes may appear out of order in their own section, but they will still process in order. Currently there’s not a way to reorder the list other than removing the classes and re-saving them.
After 6:00pm the day before your priority registration day, saving to the cart becomes unavailable. All submitted carts for your particular priority registration date will be randomly processed between 6:00pm MT and 12:00am MT. If your cart is submitted by the deadline, you will receive a notification before 12:00am MT via YMessage. It will tell you what classes the system was able to add for you, and which ones failed along with the reason. The "History" link on the cart page will also show this information.
Normal registration will resume at 12:00am MT on your priority registration date. At this time you will be able to manually make changes to your schedule (add/drop classes) like usual.
The Fine Print and Known Issues
- Beta. This product is in production, but we are still working through kinks and stability issues. It is to your advantage to still use the cart, even if there may be some hiccups.
- Audit. There is no way to audit a class through the cart, because you can’t add a class for audit until the first day of class with a permission-to-audit code.
- Waitlists. You should check which classes were added to a waitlist (see your YMessage). You need to check your waitlist in MyMAP and make sure to remove any that you don’t want.
- Maximum Hours. We’ve put a limit on how many credits can be saved to the cart (30); in other words, a max on how many credits the cart will attempt to add. This allows getting on more waitlists, but not so many that it distorts the waitlists and the class demand.
- Saving more than one Section. You can’t save more than 1 section of a class. Cross-listed classes will replace each other as well (e.g. Bio 446 and PWS 446)
- Except R-suffix courses, it should let you save more than one section.
- Except lecture and lab courses (e.g. PDBio 220), it should let you save more than one section.
- Random. The system randomly selects which carts to process. There could be up to 8000 or so carts on any one priority date. Random allows for fairness in that you can edit your cart up until the deadline and not be penalized (instead of “first to submit” order). The logic behind this randomness is that it mimics the same randomness that would exist after midnight anyway.
- Weekly Layout and Time Conflicts. The cart will still attempt to add classes with conflicting times. You can use the “weekly schedule” tool on the cart page to ensure that none of the classes you add to your cart conflict.
- Holds. At the time you save your classes to your cart and submit it for processing, there might not be holds on your account. By the time your priority registration date arrives if you have since received a hold, the cart will not be able to add your classes.
- Dept Changes to a Class after Saved in Cart. If the department makes a change to the time, date, location, etc. of a class after you save it to your cart, the cart may not reflect those changes.
Tips to Remember
- After midnight, you begin normal registration using the "A" to add, not the "C".
- You can always refer back to your YMessage or the cart History tab to see the results of the cart processing.
- Remember that failed adds may be due to normal registration rules, not a problem with the cart processing. Registrar's Office employees can help troubleshoot if needed.