Incomplete Contracts

You may request an incomplete grade (I) from your instructor if you had a nonacademic emergency (serious illness, personal injury, death in the immediate family, etc.) occur after the discontinuance deadline. An incomplete contract allows you to have up to one year to complete the unfinished coursework with your instructor. If the contract is not completed, a failing grade (IE) will be given. 


How can I receive an incomplete grade?

In order to receive an incomplete grade, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • You have a non-academic related circumstance that prevents you from finishing the class on time.
  • You must be passing the class and have been attending up through the discontinuance deadline.
  • You must be able to finish the coursework with your instructor.
  • You cannot re-register or “sit in” the class to finish the coursework (unless special circumstances require attendance in a portion of a class or lab).


Student Instructions

  1. Obtain permission from your instructor to do an incomplete contract.
  2. Pick up the incomplete contract at the Registrar's Office (B-150 ASB).
  3. Take the form to your instructor right away and fill out the contract. (The contract is not valid until an instructor has signed it.)
    • You keep the pink copy of the contract form.
    • The instructor keeps the white copy.
    • The yellow copy is given to the Registrar's Office by you or the instructor. An 'I' grade will be posted to your record after the contract is received.
  4. Complete the contract terms by the deadline determined by your instructor (not to exceed one year).
  5. Your instructor will complete the form and submit the white copy to the Registrar's Office with the final grade and signature.