If I don't graduate during the semester I applied for, do I have to reapply?

Can I walk before I graduate?

  • Each college has its own policy on if a student can "walk" at convocation. Contact your Advisement Center. Also, your name will not appear in the commencement program if you just "walk" at commencement.

What if I fail a required class my last semester?

What if I miss the application deadline for the semester in which I plan to graduate?

Do I need to wear a cap and gown to participate in commencement and convocation exercises?

  • Yes, you must wear the cap and gown to participate as a graduate in commencement and convocation. Anything you wear under the gown must meet the Dress and Grooming standards set forth by the Honor Code. However, you may attend commencement and convocation as an audience member without wearing the cap and gown.

Is it appropriate to decorate my cap?

  • To maintain the dignity of the graduation services, graduates are requested not to alter or embellish the cap (mortarboard) or gown.  It is not appropriate.
    “Stoles of Gratitude,” leis, or honors regalia are appropriate accessories to the basic cap and gown.

Do I need tickets for my family and friends to attend commencement or convocation?

  • Tickets are required.  More details to follow.

Where and when do I line up for commencement?

  • For the commencement procession, meet in the parking lots north of the ASB by 9:00 am. The procession begins promptly at 9:15 am. If it rains, and it is too wet to line up outside, you should be in your designated seating area inside the Marriott Center by 9:45 am. Visit the Academic Procession page for more information.

Who do I contact if I have special needs for commencement (like signing services or wheelchair access)?

  • For graduates: Contact the Accessibility Center at 801-422-2767 to arrange special needs.
  • For guests: For special needs, contact the Special Events Office at the Marriott Center at 801-422-6022. ALL AVAILABILITY IS ON A FIRST COME BASIS. Wheelchairs from the Special Events Office are available only for transport to and from the parking lot. Wheelchair seating is in Portal F and Portal K (includes space for one wheelchair and one guest). Mobility impaired is the top row of the concourse (with usher help) portal C through O.

Can I change my name on my diploma?

When and where will I get my diploma? Can I get a duplicate diploma?

  • Your diploma will be mailed to the mailing address on your myBYU account 3 to 8 weeks after graduation. If you need a duplicate diploma, contact the Registrar's Office.

When will my degree and final grades be reflected on my transcript?

  • Degrees post to transcripts starting 2 weeks after graduation. Before we post your degree to your transcript, we must have all the grades necessary for graduation.