You may see your grades on your Record Summary or Progress Report.

Grade Changes
Repeating Classes
Grade Values
Numerical Grade Values (Law School)
How to Calculate GPA


Grade Changes

Grades can change for these reasons:

  • There has been a calculation error in computing the grade.
  • The wrong grade was posted to the grade roll.
  • To change a “T” grade (work in progress).
  • To post a grade if no grade was submitted (NS).
  • To reassess a grade that had no work completed after the deadline.

You should contact your instructor if an incorrect grade was posted. Your instructor(s) will not change a previous grade to a “W” (Official Withdrawal) for any reason. If you had a nonacademic emergency, you should file a petition for withdrawal. You may also work with your instructor on an Incomplete contract to finish your work beyond the semester or term.


Repeating Classes

You can repeat any class if it or a similar class still exists.

  • For classes repeated beginning Fall Semester 2011: Your grades from all of your enrollments of a class count toward your grade point average (GPA) and total credit hours.
  • For classes repeated prior to Fall Semester 2011: Your grade from the most recent enrollment of a class (except for R-suffix courses) counts toward your grade point average (GPA) and total credit hours.


Grade Values

Students often want to know how classes are evaluated and GPA's are calculated. 

Grade Grade Points Grade Description
A 4.0 Excellent
A- 3.7  
B+ 3.4  
B 3.0 Good
B- 2.7  
C+ 2.4  
C 2.0 Satisfactory
C- 1.7  
D+ 1.4  
D 1.0  
D- 0.7 Minimum Passing
E, UW, IE, WE  0.0 Failure

There is not an official university grading scale (e.g. 92-100 A, 89-91 A-, etc.). Individual departments may have a specified scale that instructors use.

If a student drops from a class by the add/drop deadline, the permanent record will not show any registration for that class.

W Withdraw from a class after the add/drop
deadline but before the withdraw deadline.
No effect on GPA
WE Petition to withdraw from a class after the withdraw
deadline and the student is failing the class at that time.
Calculated as 
a failing grade
UW Unofficially withdrew or stopped attending a class and
did not officially withdraw
(as of Fall Semester 2005, UW is no longer given).
Calculated as 
a failing grade
P Indicates a passing grade. No effect on GPA
Coursework is incomplete but has arranged on a
contractualbasis with the instructor to complete the work.
No effect on GPA
IE The time period indicated on the contract for
completing the incomplete grade has expired.
Calculated as 
a failing grade
T Course work in progress and is only used in certain approved
courses in which work may extend beyond the semester.
No effect on GPA
NS The grade roll has not been submitted by the instructor. No effect on  GPA

BYU also keeps a record of whether or not grades are earned and graded. Earned credits count toward graduation and graded credits are calculated into your GPA.

Grades Earned Graded
A, B, C, D Yes Yes
E, WE, UW, IE  No Yes
P Yes No
W, I, T, NS No No



Numerical Grade Values (Law School)

The Law School use an alternative numerical grading system.

1987-1994 Fall 1994-Present Description
80-90 3.7-4.0 Superior
75-79 3.3-3.6 Excellent
71-74 3.0-3.2 High Pass
66-70 2.7-2.9 Pass
59-65 2.2-2.6 Low Pass
50-58 1.6-2.1 Failure


You can see your GPA on your Record Summary or in MyMAP

BYU GPA Calculated from coursework completed at BYU.
Total GPA Calculated from coursework completed at BYU plus transfer
work accepted by BYU. 


How to Calculate GPA

You can calculate your GPA in three ways: