Credit Transferability

BYU has a policy on what type of credits are accepted. This page can help you learn if your credit is accepted and how you can complete BYU General Education requirements at your current school. For more information, see our Transfer Credit Policy page.

Basic Guidelines

Only courses with grades of C- or higher can transfer to fill general education requirements.

Courses can transfer in three ways:

  • Equivalent to a BYU course, completing a general education requirement.
  • As an elective (counting toward the 120 hours needed for graduation).
  • Equivalent to a BYU course, filling a major requirement.

Transfer Evaluation Services determines the transferability of all courses once you are admitted to BYU.  We evaluate your coursework to fill general education requirements and will send you an email to let you know we have evaluated your credit.  Then you can contact your major advisement center to complete the evaluation of your transfer credit for major requirements and have them help you plan out your registration. 

Types of Credit


Students who complete an AP (Advanced Placement) exam with a 3, 4, or 5 or an IB (International Baccalaureate) exam with a 5, 6, or 7 may receive BYU credit.  If your AP records don’t match your BYU record, contact Transfer Evaluation in the Registrar's Office.

Visit to see what credit may be earned for specific exam scores.

If AP credit is used as part of an associate degree from another school, the degree may still be honored if it meets the criteria listed above, but the AP credit hours will not be recognized.  Provide your AP scores, and we will award credit based on our awarding guidelines.

A-levels, Cambridge, and other International Credit

If you would like to transfer international credit, please see Evaluating International Credit.

Cambridge AICE and GCE (A Level) exam scores are considered international credit.  All secondary education and college work that is considered international must be evaluated by an international credential evaluation agency at the applicant's expense. Once a student is admitted, credit will be awarded according to BYU faculty recommendation:

A Level Exam BYU Equivalency
Accounting No Equivalency
Biology BIO 130 or PDBIO 120
Chemistry CHEM 105
Economics ECON 110 (if grade of A is earned)
English Language WRTG 150 (if grade of A or B is earned)
Language and Literature WRTG 150 (if grade of A or B is earned)
Literature in English No Equivalency
Math See department for challenge exam
Physics PHSCS 105 and 106
Psychology Social Science GE area
Sociology Social Science GE area

Associate Degrees

 A completed associate degree will fill most of the BYU general education requirements (with the exception of American Heritage, Advanced Written and Oral Communication, Languages of Learning, and the BYU religion hours) if the degree includes at least 35 percent of the classes that BYU considers similar to our general education requirements. If the courses within the degree aren't considered to be transferable or general education courses, the classes and the degree may not be recognized, and courses will be evaluated individually for transferability and equivalency. 

An associate degree has to include a course that meets the requirements for BYU's first-year writing requirement, or you will need to take an additional course over and above the completed associate degree. 

AP and CLEP credits that are used as part of a school's associate degree will not be transferable to BYU. 


We don’t accept CLEP Exams.  If CLEP credit is used as part of an associate degree from another school, the degree may still be honored if it meets the criteria listed above, but the CLEP credit hours will not be recognized.

Concurrent Enrollment (credit earned in high school)

BYU accepts concurrent enrollment credit from most colleges and universities. The credit earned must show on an official college/university transcript.

Institute of Religion

For information on transferring your Institute of Religion credits, see Transferring Religion Credit for more details.

Major Credit

Contact your specific college advisement center to find out how classes will transfer to fill major requirements.

Military Credit

Transfer Evaluation Services evaluates military courses using  ACE recommendation from the Joint Services transcript.  Courses are determined by ACE to be either upper- or lower-division, and BYU only accepts courses that have been recommended as upper-division.

Once you’re admitted to BYU, contact Transfer Evaluation Services.

Old Credit

Credit earned more than eight years before admission or readmission (including transfer credit) may be used to complete general education and university graduation requirements, as well as major requirements at the discretion of the university.

Quarter to Semester Credit Conversion

Quarter credits/units convert to semester credits. (Ex: 36 quarter credits = 24.01 semester credits)

Vocational Credit

Vocational or technical credit will be marked as non-transferable once you are admitted.


Contact Transfer Evaluation Services  if you have questions about how your credit transferred to fill general education requirements.  Your major advisement center will evaluate transfer credit that might apply to major requirements.