Brigham Young University Homepage

Petition Services

Students who encounter a non-academic emergency or circumstances affecting the academic record may submit a request to make a change to the record through the Petition Services Office. A petition may be filed asking for an exception to university policy by providing justification and documentation to support the request. Possible requests may include adding or withdrawing from a class after the deadline, adding challenge exam credit, or extending an incomplete deadline.

Situations that may not be petitioned through the Registrar's Office are:

  • Reinstatement after being deleted for nonpayment of tuition
  • Removal of transfer credit from a transcript
  • Verification that a student is full time if they are not.

Any petitions for exceptions to academic records policies must be submitted to the Registrar's Office within one year from the semester or term in question.

Petition forms and additional information concerning petitions may be obtained at the Registrar's Office (B-150 ASB) or at